Monday, March 28, 2011

Google Docs (Thing 16)

I have never used Google Docs until I started working here at the Frisco Library. My first experience with it was viewing our work schedule in Google Docs. The documents and spreadsheets seem to be very similar with Word documents and Excel spreadsheets. I haven't really noticed any differences except for the most obvious ones that you can share the document (instead of just saving it to your computer and sending the attachment) and publish the document as a web page. I have had a task on my to do list that I hadn't gotten to yet that involved creating a new Google Doc schedule for the 2011 student teller coaching sessions. So I decided to create that document for this Thing. I just finished and it was super easy! Last year, the student tell coaching sessions schedule was in a Word document. The student tellers had to call or email Cindy everytime they wanted to sign up for a coaching session. This involved a lot of headaches for Cindy as you can imagine (especially when students would sign up and then need to make schedule changes). So now students will be able to access the 2011 student teller coaching schedule (from any computer)  and sign up for the sessions (or make changes) all on their own. What a wonderful 'thing'.

No comments:

Post a Comment