Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Picture Sharing (Thing 4)

I love taking pictures so picture sharing sites are a great way to keep my hundreds of family pictures organized. I currently use Shutterfly and Snapfish to share my pictures with other family members but Flickr, Picasa, and Photobucket are new to me. I am excited to learn more about these photo sharing sites and the differences between them.

As far as the library goes, using photo sharing technology can be a great marketing tool for the library to promote its puppet shows, story times, and special events. Reading about an event is one thing but sometimes a picture speaks louder than words. When a parent can see pictures of how much fun kids are having at the library events they are more likely to try it out.

After viewing several of the library links provided, I think Plainview Library does a great job with their Flickr site. I really like the way the photos are organized. Instead of small photos going down the right side of the page (like a lot of the other sites) they have large pictures in a grid format with a title above the picture and a caption below the picture. Alexandrian Public Library also does a great job by posting a variety of their events like family storytime, Craft Club, and Lego Club. I wasn't very impressed with the pictures posted on the Marathon County Public Library Flickr site. They posted a lot of 'employee events' like employee birthdays and an anniversary party. I don't think employee party/event pictures should be posted on the library's main photo sharing site. There could be a photo sharing site set up for employees to post employee event photos. The patrons want to see pictures of events they can attend and of course pictures of the little ones having a blast at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment